Firefox won't print to the local printer, other things will

Tim:
>> although the CUPS "print test page" feature worked, you can't print a
>> webpage from Firefox, or any other web browser, despite this printer
>> being picked as the printer to use.
>>
>> Evolution can print, if you pick the printer specifically, the generic
>> Postscript option does nothing.  GEdit can print.  Some other things
>> can, others can't.

Anne Wilson:
> Tim, if you use gnome or gnome apps, delete the existing printer line (or copy
> it out, if you want to sure you can put it back) and enter 'xpp'.  I'm a kde
> user, and use 'kprinter', as it is more flexible than xpp, but I have used
> xpp in the past with no problem at all.

If you mean replacing this line in the Firefox printing configuration
with "xpp", then that didn't help.:
lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}

I can't find anything that refers to xpp, either (not even a "yum search
xpp" or "yum search XPP").

NB:  I use Gnome, and have no KDE installation on my systems.  'tis the
way it's going to stay, too.

More details about my system:

I have several FC4 PCs.  A server has a HP LaserJet 4L on it, it can
print to it directly, and networked terminals have been able to print to
it.

I have another FC4 in another room, with a local printer attached (a
Kyocera FS-400 which emulates a HP LaserJet 3).  It used to print
locally with Firefox, but now refuses (it still prints for other things,
like OpenOffice, Evolution, etc., and the CUPS 'print a test page'
feature works).

I hadn't changed any settings regarding this printer, so I can't
attribute the change to anything obvious.  After the problems, I've
wiped out and added printers using CUPS.  Still no improvement.  It
appears to go through the motions (Firefox shows a progress display when
you opt to print a page, and doesn't complain, but eggcups shows nothing
happening).  Increasing the LogLevel for CUPS doesn't show any errors.

I've got another standalone FC4 box, here, with a HP photosmart 7260
printer.  It, too, won't do any printing through Firefox.  However, it
will print through OpenOffice, Gedit, Evolution.  This one did have an
error message on screen, saying that 'printing from "(std.in)" had been
aborted, and you might want to find out why', and an error message in
the CUPS logs, though:

A segfault in /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster at line 55, which is:
$bindir/gs $gsopts -sOUTPUTFILE="%stdout" $profile $ifile

This box also has another interesting twist in the tale:  If I get
Firefox to print to a PostScript file, that works.  I can then open the
PostScript file in Evince, and view it quite fine.  But it, Evince,
crashes if I try to print it.

NB:  The ones that won't print with Firefox, won't print with *any* web
browser (Mozilla, Epiphany, nor Firefox).  They're all using the latest
versions of those browsers (except for the Firefox release just
mentioned today), and of CUPS and ghostscript.

Looking for suggestions of what to test, reconfigure, or logs to read
through.  I've already tried changing SELinux to not do anything to
CUPs, and then from Enforcing, to Permissive, to disabled.  Having to go
through the rigamarole of saving files to the server and printing them
from there, manually, is getting to be annoying.

I read messages from the public lists.