Re: Best for Beginner :OpenSuse OSS or FC5

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:57:01PM +1000, David Waites wrote:
> sujit sugathan wrote:
> >Hi Everyone,
> >I've been using FC4 for almost 3 months right now.I've not yet tried Open Suse OSS or FC5 .Can anyone tell me which amongst the two is better for a
> >beginner like me.
> >-- sujit
> Given the relatively large number of problems that people seem to have been having with FC5, and having used SUSE 10 (both Open and Eval editions), I would
> go with SUSE.

consider that seconded..

My wife and mother would add 3rd and 4th to that - and they also prefer the "feel"
FC* is too much work for a beginner IMHO, and even I, whose got years of linux/UNIX admin, will choose SUSE over FC* for a "make my life easier" desktop, tho really really impressed with Elive (http://www.elivecd.org/) - rocks on my laptop.
- I think the term i am looking for Suse over FC* is, "it just works", and a whole lot of good things can be said for that.

I have been looking at them both in the last week or two, and  been frustrated at the "relatively" poor the dependency checking in FC* (if your are using the GUI, which is suspect most beginners would) compared to Suse's Yast offering, i.e. compare a window with an error message and only an OK/Close button to a screen saying, "oops, look you asked to do this but it will break this, these are the actions you can take" screen in Suse.
This is almost a "go away and learn it it yourself" attitude, which really ain't gonna win beginners over to FC*.

rgds.

--
I ain't perfect, yet..
MacGyver