Re: Starting Gnome from runlevel 3

On 4/19/06, Ali Helmy <alihelmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16/04/06, Thomas Taylor <linxt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Init3 is used to get to a command line interface.  The how is from a terminal
in a graphical interface.  That's in you only want an ocassional cli mode, to
make it permanent, edit /etc/initab changing the 5 in the line
"id:5:initdefault:" to a 3.

HTH
Tom

--
Tom Taylor
Linux user #263467

Hey mates,

If I do edit that line to make it [id:5:initdefault:], then the system will always start with the text, multi-user with networking mode only [runlevel 3], without me having to press Ctrl+Alt+F1... in other words, gnome and GDE in general will not be started...

So after I log in to the console using runlevel 3, how can I start the Gnome DE in order to resume graphica functionality? what would be the steps?

Giving the  'init 5' command as root will get you cleanly started including the services associated with
runlevel 5. Otherwise just a 'startx' command should do.