Re: Starting Gnome from runlevel 3

On 19/04/06, Ali Helmy <alihelmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16/04/06, Thomas Taylor <linxt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Init3 is used to get to a command line interface.  The how is from a
> terminal
> > in a graphical interface.  That's in you only want an ocassional cli mode,
> > make it permanent, edit /etc/initab changing the 5 in the line
> > "id:5:initdefault:" to a 3.
> >

> Hey mates,
>
> If I do edit that line to make it [id:5:initdefault:], then the system will
> always start with the text, multi-user with networking mode only [runlevel
> 3], without me having to press Ctrl+Alt+F1... in other words, gnome and GDE
> in general will not be started...

See Paul Howarth's message:
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-April/msg04617.html>
Changing to a pseudo terminal (what you're doing when you press
Ctrl+Alt+Fn) is not the same as changing the run level.

I'd also note that you can use a terminal window (eg xterm, gnome-terminal)
to execute the telinit command (although obviously only from run level 5).

> So after I log in to the console using runlevel 3, how can I start the Gnome
> DE in order to resume graphica functionality? what would be the steps?

Change to runlevel 5, this will start X and GDM (or whatever your
default display manager is).

As an aside (one of?) the list posted earlier on the "Can anyone
explain the use of init3" thread is incomplete: run level 2 is multi-user
with no networking (something you're maybe aware of since you note
rl 3 is networking).

--
imalone