Re: CANNOT Get Remote X to Work -- Guru Needed

> Bill Polhemus wrote:

> As far as I know, there's no reason to modify any files on FC5 if you
> want to display its applications on a remote host.

In the past it HAS been necessary to do this--apparently for security's
sake the config files for the X server on Red Hat/Fedora (and others)
default to NOT accepting  client connections (see
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO.html#STEPS for example).

> The easiest configuration should be:
> * configure your X server (WinAxe, in this case) "appropriately".  It
> only really needs to accept connections from localhost
> * Use PuTTY as your ssh client; enable X11 forwarding in its options
> * Make sure that xauth is in your path on the FC5 host
> * Check the value of $DISPLAY when you log in to FC5.  If everything's
> set up properly, it will be something like "localhost:10.0".

WinAxe actually has "its own" SSH client so that's not a problem either.
And I repeat: I have set this up in the past as recently as FC3 a year or
so ago, and it worked fine. But for some reason I'm not able to get it to
work now.

I may fool around with PuTTY/X11 forwarding as a troubleshooting exercise,
however. Thanks for suggesting it.