Re: CANNOT Get Remote X to Work -- Guru Needed

Bill Polhemus wrote:

I have the client software on the Windows XP box configured as shown on
LabF's tutorials page, but when it comes to editing the various (and
sundry!) config files on my FC5 server, I'm not sure I have even found
them all.

As far as I know, there's no reason to modify any files on FC5 if you want to display its applications on a remote host.

The easiest configuration should be:
* configure your X server (WinAxe, in this case) "appropriately". It only really needs to accept connections from localhost
* Use PuTTY as your ssh client; enable X11 forwarding in its options
* Make sure that xauth is in your path on the FC5 host
* Check the value of $DISPLAY when you log in to FC5. If everything's set up properly, it will be something like "localhost:10.0".