Re: OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

Guy Fraser wrote:
On Fri, 2006-14-04 at 13:01 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

Anne Wilson wrote:

On Friday 14 April 2006 15:47, Mike McCarty wrote:

Your choice entirely. Encryption does work, and I also have checked that nothing is detectable outside my boundaries. Then of course it can be tied to mac addresses. It's perfectly possible to have the facility without risk. If you don't need it, fine.

Any machine to which there is physical access has only
relative security. The fewer physical access points there
are the higher the relative security can be. Removing the
antenna almost removes one of the access points.

I say almost because, should the firmware or hardware not
properly disable the wireless I/F, someone who knew I was
here and had a high-power transmitter and a focussed high
gain antenna with a sensitive receiver could still get
access.

Very true. Removing the antenna may not actually do what you want, it will certainly reduce the antenna gain, but does not prevent transmission or reception. What you should do is install a 50 Ohm shielded terminator. You will need a BNC adaptor for you antenna connector, which

TNC. And even a 50 ohm termination (presuming that the
receiver uses 50 ohm impedance, which is almost certain,
given the frequencies involved) will not completely
isolate. And then there are IF amp. attacks, etc.

with you to make sure you get the right one. You can likely get the adaptor and terminator at an electronics supply store, or from a radio system installer.

I could build my own using parts in my junk box, actually.

We used to do a lot of wireless connections and determined that even heavily shielded radios could communicate effectively over a couple feet with no antennae installed on either one. We also determined that using 100mW TX

Of course, this is a violation of FCC regs... :-)

[snip]

arrays it could be possible to receive a signal covertly from hundreds of feet away, but then you don't necessarily need a wireless router to do that anyway.;^) If you are

Yah, I've got a 6 foot cable running between the router and
my machine, and a 6 foot cable (coiled up, it's true) between
the router and the DSL modem, both unshieled twisted pair
(CAT5 stuff).

interested, there are a few good articles about Tempest surveillance that are enlightening. I used to work on anti-tempest compliant devices for law enforcement and military applications, back in the late 80's. I can only imagine how much better the new tempest stuff is. :^O

http://www.fas.org/irp/program/security/tempest.htm

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.