Re: OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Friday 14 April 2006 15:47, Mike McCarty wrote:

Your choice entirely. Encryption does work, and I also have checked that nothing is detectable outside my boundaries. Then of course it can be tied to mac addresses. It's perfectly possible to have the facility without risk. If you don't need it, fine.

Any machine to which there is physical access has only
relative security. The fewer physical access points there
are the higher the relative security can be. Removing the
antenna almost removes one of the access points.

I say almost because, should the firmware or hardware not
properly disable the wireless I/F, someone who knew I was
here and had a high-power transmitter and a focussed high
gain antenna with a sensitive receiver could still get
access.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.