From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Gene Heskett
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2006 7:03 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: I give up on x86-64, its too busted.

Greetings;

What in hell does it take to actually install the x86-64 version of FC5
on an hp lappy?

I go thru the disk partitioning several times, finally manageing to
convince ntfs that it only can use 30GB of the disk.  Then it takes a
chant like some black magic spell (linux noapic noapci irqpoll
pci=assign-busses lapic) to even get it to boot, and test, the install
dvd.  The media test was successfull FWIW, apparently not much.

I get thru the prelims ok, but fighting with a synaptics touch pad with
a gain of about 70 million (1/4" of motion is off-screen in any
direction, any touch is a double-tap unless holding the left button
down already), and checkmark the other two boxes on the what do I
install screen, click ok and go take a nap.  10 minutes later I decide
its time for a bowl of cherrios & when I get back in here, the screen
is telling me the media is bad or we have a bug.

It cannot open the file 'setup-2.5.49-1.noarch'!  Now as thats a pretty
important file for the whole install process, I don't find this at all
encouraging.  Upsetting even...

So what am I supposed to do here folks, install the i386 version?  Thats
NOT what I bought an amd64 equipt box for.  And I've got about another
10 days to sort this, load it up and drive 1000 miles for a couple of
months.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: