Re: faster bootup by not scanning for hardware changes?

On 15Apr2006 22:42, Jacques B. <jjrboucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > Well I just go:
| >
| >         chkconfig --level 2345 kudzu off
| >
| > Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
| > http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/
|
| Thanks Cameron.  That did exactly what I was looking to do.  But it
| had minimal impact on bootup time.

I've always found kudzu annoyingly slow, especially for something that's
usually a no-op AFAICS.

| Actually when I re-enabled it and
| viewed the verbrose bootup process (rather than the GUI with the timer
| bar) I noticed that scanning for hardware changes takes very little
| time (a maybe a second).

I guess it's better then.

| The performance gain isn't worth it, so I'll
| leave it enabled just to keep it simple in the event I add something
| down the road and forget how to renable kudzu.
|
| But it's a good command to know.  Glad I found out about it.  I've
| been picking away at a script that captures live data from a Linux
| system prior to shutting it down (for a post mortem forensic analysis
| of it).  The output of this command with the --list option would be of
| value to capture.

Well, my laptop actually looks like this:

	[~]#root@zoob*> chkconfig --list|wc -l
	151
	[~]#root@zoob*> chkconfig --list|grep :on
	[~]#root@zoob*>

I've turned it all off, and instead do this:

	[~]#root@zoob*> cat /etc/rc.local
	#!/bin/sh
	#
	# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
	# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
	# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

	touch /var/lock/subsys/local

	( . /opt/css/env.sh
	  exec 2>/dev/tty2
	  exec rc.mobile \
		start \
		-f /etc/rc.mobile/conf \
		-E /etc/rc.mobile/env.sh \
		-E /u/cameron/var/env.sh \
		@home-wifi
	)

rc.mobile is described here:

	http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/rc.mobile.html

The example config files are a little dated, but the idea is unchanged
- start everything stuff in parallel, with a dependency scheme if one
service needs another. Now my startup is most annoying in the speed of
/etc/rc.sysinit, which takes a very long time, largely modprobing which
seems rather inefficient (grep, modprobe single-module, grep...)

Chuck a "set -x" at the top of /etc/rc.sysinit and see where it slows
up.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Sam Jones <samjones@xxxxxxxxxxx> on the Nine Types of User:

Frying Pan/Fire Tactician - "It didn't work with the data set we had, so I
                             fed in my aunt's recipe for key lime pie."
Advantages:     Will usually fix error.
Disadvantages:  'Fix' is defined VERY loosely here.
Symptoms:       A tendancy to delete lines that get errors instead of fixing
                them.
Real Case:      One user complained that their program executed, but didn't
                do anything.  The scon looked at it for twenty minutes before
                realizing that they'd commented out EVERY LINE.  The user
                said, "Well, that was the only way I could get it to compile."