Re: Are netdev kernels compatible with livna nvidia

J. K. Cliburn wrote:
On 4/14/06, Jonathan Berry <berryja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/14/06, J. K. Cliburn <jcliburn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If I install John Linville's netdev kernel, will I still be able to
use the nvidia rpm(s) provided by Livna?  In FC4 I used the Nvidia
binary directly from Nvidia and built the driver myself with each new
kernel, including the netdev kernels, but in keeping with developer
guidance, with FC5 I'm using the Livna Nvidia driver package.  Any
compatibility issues with the Livna Nvidia driver rpm and the netdev
kernels?
If a binary package is not available, then you can always recompile
the SRPM.  As far as compatability, I suspect that if it would work
with the binary installer from nVidia, then it would work with the
Livna RPM.  No harm in trying it out ;).

I'm just wondering how strictly the Livna nvidia rpm wants to match
"uname -r", if at all.  I think the netdev kernels contain the
substring "netdev" in uname -r output.

The Livna nvidia rpm wants to match "uname -r" exactly. I just
finished building a custom FC5 kernel rpm from the src rpm and
had to build a custom nvidia-kmod package to get the nvidia
drivers working for the custom kernel.

I had to edit the nvidia-kmod.spec file to make it work. I had
to change the kernel version to my custom kernel version and
I had to undefine building the smp and kdump versions since I don't
use those.

--Kenny