Mail Server Question

I just got a question froma friend who is running
FC5 on his home network plus other machines.
He wants to set up his own imap mail server on the
FC5 machine.  This server would pull in mail from
another mail server using POP.  My understanding
is that the mail servers normally use SMTP to
pull in their mail.  Has anyone seen this sort
of setup.

The purpose of this exercise is that his kids jump
around from one computer to another and this tends
to spread out the email across multiple machines.
I suspect some of the machines are running windows.
Using iMAP, the mail can just reside on the local
server.

Thanks for any pointers.

Robert E. Styma
Principal Engineer (DMTS)