From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Timothy Murphy
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 8:05 AM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: YUM crashes during update

Tim wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 17:22 -0600, Mike Johnston wrote:
>> I upgraded from FC 4 to FC 5.
>> When I do a 'yum update' it uses all the memory and eventually
>> crashes.
>
> You don't say how much memory you have.  Maybe you just don't have
> enough to cope with resolving all the dependencies?

Do programs crash because you don't have enough memory?
I would have thought they would just hang.
In any case, couldn't the OP just add more swap space?

>> Is it better to just re-install FC 5?
>
> It depends...  (on your skills, your needs, etc.).  There's no easy
> answer to that.

If in fact the cause was shortage of memory,
I don't see how re-installing FC-5 would help.

Incidentally, doesn't the installation use yum?
If yum crashed because of shortage of memory
I would have thought it would do it then.

If it were me, I would start by saying "yum clean all".
But I am no yum expert.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366