Re: bootloader blues

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 14:15 -0500, Jimmy Montague wrote:
> Sorry: I can't decipher the MAN page.

I found "man grub" to be next to useless on each Fedora Core Linux that
I've tried, but the *full* manual is available as an info file:

info grub

> I don't know how to copy bootloader to the MBR of the Windoze drive..
>
> When I ran fdisk -l, as you suggested, here is the result:
>
> Disk/dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40027029504 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track/ 4866 cylinders
> units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
> Disk/dev/hdb: 40.0 GB, 40027029504 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track/ 4866 cylinders
> units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
> Device    Boot   Start   End    Blocks       Id   System
> dev/hda1    *        1  4865    39078081      7   HPFS/NTFS
>
> dev/hdb1    *        1    13      104391     83   Linux
> dev/hdb2            14  4866   38981722+     8e   Linux LVM

Looks the same as a friend's foray into FC5, and he had a similar
problem (after installation, it booted straight into Windows, without
any GRUB menu, despite being told to install GRUB to the MBR of the
first, Windows, drive during the installation routine).  I think this
(below) is the procedure I used to fix things up.  It's a while since I
did it, and didn't note precisely what I did.

     1. Booted a rescue disc.
     2. Entered the command "grub" (we're now are in a command line
        interface shell for GRUB).  I may have had to chroot into
        the /mnt/sysimage, but I cannot remember.  You'll soon know if
        you have to, if there's no response to the grub command.
     3. Entered "root (hd1,0)" (setting the boot drive and partition for
        where most of GRUB, and the system kernel files
        are:  /dev/hdb1).
     4. Entered "find (hd1,0)/grub/stage1" (the first file GRUB uses to
        boot up from).  (This step may not be necessary, but should
        demonstrate that the required file is where it's needed.)
     5. Entered "setup (hd0)" (to install the bootloader to the drive my
        system BIOS boots up).
     6. Entered "quit" (to properly exit from the GRUB command line
        interface shell).

(Example commands shown between the quotes, just type what's inside
them, don't also type the quotes.)

If all goes well, you'll install the first stage of GRUB into the MBR of
the drive your motherboard boots from, and set up the other stages of
GRUB (and its menu) correctly in the boot partition of your Linux drive.
Now, when you boot, you use GRUB to determine which system to boot up.

Alternatively, some people use the Windows bootloader, adding in the
files needed for it to switch over to the other (Linux) drive.  I've not
tried that, so can't offer any tips.

I read messages from the public lists.