Re: FC5 + Palm TX: Haaaaalp!

Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> Until today I had always synced my TX through WiFi since that was the
> only way I was able to do it in FC4 before, but today I tried the USB
> connection.  It worked out of the box.  I did a fresh install of FC5, so
> there are no remnants of configuration attempts from the FC4 era on my
> laptop.
>
> This is what I did:
>
> Connect the cable to laptop and TX.  The TX turns on automatically and
> the kernel reports a new Handspring Visor / Palm OS device.
>
> Press the hotsync button on the cable.  The kernel reports a disconnect
> and a new connect.
>
> Start "pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -l".  I get a list of installed
> applications and databases.
>
> /dev/pilot was made automatically.
>
> My dmesg output is very similar to yours.  The USB addresses differ, but
> that is to be expected.
>
> I don't know whether it is important, but my laptop only supports USB
> version 1.1.

*grumble* *grumble*  What the heck....?  I'm not inclined to re-install,
but I'm getting frustrated enough to try.  I'd be more than happy to
attribute it to being a problem with my TX if I couldn't sync it with
Windows or OS X, but since I can, I'm less inclined to believe it's the TX.

It's good to hear that "turns on, creates devices upon plugin" is not
something that just happens for me.  I haven't seen that behavior before
in other PalmOS devices.

You did nothing with your udev setup?  I found the initial setup was
creating a /dev/pilot that pointed to /dev/ttyUSB0 and, IIRC, wrong
permissions.  I needed these changes to get syncing working with the T3.
 I'll try removing these changes, but I have my doubts as I tried to
sync against both /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 and, even as root (to
avoid permissions issues), I was still unable to get any progress.

Thanks,
pete