Re: FC5 + Palm TX: Haaaaalp!

Pete Toscano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed FC5 soon after it came out and keep things updated on a
> daily basis.  Not long after, I got things playing nicely with my Palm
> T3.  For me, "playing nicely" meant that I could manipulate the T3 with
> the pilot-link tools, specifically pilot-xfer.
>
> Not long after that, I got a TX.  The first one was wonky, so I returned
> it and got a second that seems to sync with Windows and OS X (with
> missing sync) just fine, but I cannot for the life of me get it working
> with FC5.
>
> The first strangeness that I noticed was that when I plugged in the hot
> sync cable, it immediately brings up /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1.
> None of my previous PalmOS devices did this.
>

> kernel: usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 19
> kernel: usb 4-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered
> for Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered
> for Sony Clie 3.5
> kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered
> for Sony Clie 5.0
> kernel: visor 4-2:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
> kernel: usb 4-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to
> ttyUSB0
> kernel: usb 4-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to
> ttyUSB1
> kernel: usbcore: registered new driver visor
> kernel: drivers/usb/serial/visor.c: USB HandSpring Visor / Palm OS driver
>

> Udev is configured to create the /dev/pilot link and links it to the
> correct (at least for the T3) device:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      7 Apr 11 11:49 /dev/pilot -> ttyUSB1
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 Apr 11 11:49 /dev/ttyUSB0
> crw------- 1 pete root 188, 1 Apr 11 11:49 /dev/ttyUSB1
>
> Of course, if I try "pilot-xfer -l" right now, it just hangs, which is
> expected.
>
> Now, when I hit the hotsync button, this is what I see in /var/log/messages:
>
> kernel: usb 4-2: USB disconnect, address 19
> kernel: visor ttyUSB0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now
> disconnected from ttyUSB0
> kernel: visor ttyUSB1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now
> disconnected from ttyUSB1
> kernel: visor 4-2:1.0: device disconnected
> kernel: usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 20
> kernel: usb 4-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> kernel: visor 4-2:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
> kernel: usb 4-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to
> ttyUSB0
> kernel: usb 4-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to
> ttyUSB1
>

> It looks like the original /dev/ttyUSB[01] are disconnected and then
> re-created.
>
> A "pilot-xfer -l" to /dev/pilot and /dev/ttyUSB1 both lead the the same
> [...]

Until today I had always synced my TX through WiFi since that was the
only way I was able to do it in FC4 before, but today I tried the USB
connection.  It worked out of the box.  I did a fresh install of FC5, so
there are no remnants of configuration attempts from the FC4 era on my
laptop.

This is what I did:

Connect the cable to laptop and TX.  The TX turns on automatically and
the kernel reports a new Handspring Visor / Palm OS device.

Press the hotsync button on the cable.  The kernel reports a disconnect
and a new connect.

Start "pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -l".  I get a list of installed
applications and databases.

/dev/pilot was made automatically.

My dmesg output is very similar to yours.  The USB addresses differ, but
that is to be expected.

I don't know whether it is important, but my laptop only supports USB
version 1.1.

--
Sjoerd Mullender