Re: OT: Hardware opinions sought

On 4/12/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My grandson is about to embark on a university course for computer graphics
and animation, and as such, he keeps an eye out for graphics card
developments.  He has spotted that cclonline are offering a 512MB graphics
card for under £100, but on investigation it turns out to be PCI Express,
which his motherboard doesn't support.  Upgrading card, mobo and cpu (and
possibly RAM) is beyond his budget.

You could get a mobo that supports the current CPU and RAM

The question, then, is whether such an upgrade would provide a truly useful
improvement, with regard to his uni work.  I am happy to finance the move if
it does, but not if it only improves game-playing.

I can't say much here myself. However, it depends on the animation software that is going to be used. But graphics, eps. graphics development is always going to be CPU and GPU intensive.

Any reason not to wait till the course starts and some actual work gets on on the current hardware to make a more knowledgeable choice?

Good luck.

PS: I am going I am in university too, feel free to throw a few dollars my way :)

I'd appreciate any comments.  Reply off-list, if it seems appropriate.  Thanks

Anne