OT: Hardware opinions sought

My grandson is about to embark on a university course for computer graphics
and animation, and as such, he keeps an eye out for graphics card
developments.  He has spotted that cclonline are offering a 512MB graphics
card for under £100, but on investigation it turns out to be PCI Express,
which his motherboard doesn't support.  Upgrading card, mobo and cpu (and
possibly RAM) is beyond his budget.

The question, then, is whether such an upgrade would provide a truly useful
improvement, with regard to his uni work.  I am happy to finance the move if
it does, but not if it only improves game-playing.

I'd appreciate any comments.  Reply off-list, if it seems appropriate.  Thanks

Anne