Re: Ethernet card

Greetings ,

< snip >

Antonio Montagnani wrote:
Michael

you are right, but I mean that I should have installed FC5 with no USB
device connected, and then...after install I would have connected
modem etc..

Well you can try the following .

As the computer is closed  , disconnect the usb modem . Now boot linux
kudzu should pick up that the USB modem is missing ask kudzu to remove the
configuration for the USB modem  now let the system continue with the boot
proccess . After the machine has booted restart kudzu ( that way kudzu would
rescan your devices )  , who will rescan the hardware and probably pick up
correctly the ethernet card . If he doesn't try to configure the network card with the Network Device Wizard . After the ethernet has been configured correctly, while the system is running connect the USB modem , kudzu will now pickup the
modem and try to configure it . Two chances here .
1. Either kudzu will manage to configure the modem correctly and you should
   be ready to go with both devices to go .
2. Or kudzu will just identify the USB modem and fail to configure it correctly

In the second case , you will probably have a clearer identication of what is
going on .

If i might say it is my opinion that the problem is not with the ethernet card .

I  have the network card in question and  i can't remember how long i have
to do something like compiling a driver for her . The driver definitely comes with the kernel and if someone uses the default options of a vanilla kernel things should be ready to go ( I know that for a fact for both FC1 and FC4 ) . It could be that the kernel
fails to identify correctly the modem and therefore it get's confused .

alias eth0 via-rhine

The above is the line from my /etc/modules.conf  .

Kind Regards,
  Kostas