Re: Samba: smbfs works, cifs does not

My shares mount fine, but I have no read access to the files.  Files are listed like this:

-rwxrwSrwt 1 root root  2.1M Apr 30  2002 winfile.zip

On 4/10/06, Joe Barnett <joe.barnett@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jörn Rink wrote:
> Am Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:56:44 -0700
> hat Joe Barnett <joe.barnett@xxxxxxxx> (Joe Barnett) folgendes
> geschrieben:
>
>> Server config: OpenBSD 3.8 using Samba 3.0.13p0 from ports
>>
>> Workstation(s): FC5 and FC4
>>
>> For public-type directories (permissions of 0755 or 0775, for
>> example) I have all the browsing capability I would expect, though I
>> am still unable to write to directories to which I would otherwise
>> be able to write.
>
> Hi,
> hm, here i have problems to mount my smb directories with fc5 as a
> normal user with cifs. I get an error message, only root can mount here.
> In the fstab line, there is a noauto,users option, but this do not work
> with cifs. How do your users mount on FC 5? Or do you have the same
> problem?
>
> Thanks
>  Jörn Rink

Hello Jörn,

My Linux machines are mounting the SMB shares with a script
containing "mount -t cifs ..." for each share.  The script runs at
startup and fails gracefully (quickly) should the shares not be
available.  I am sure there are much better ways of mounting the
shares but this has worked since I started using Linux some seven
years ago (though at that time the command was "mount -t smbfs ...")
and I have just not gotten around to playing with other methods.  As
such, there are no entries in my fstab for the SMB shares.

Thanks,

Joe

--
E-mail: joe.barnett@xxxxxxxx