Samba: smbfs works, cifs does not

Server config: OpenBSD 3.8 using Samba 3.0.13p0 from ports

Workstation(s): FC5 and FC4

When using cifs (FC4 and 5) the resources will mount but I do not have access to the directories. When using smbfs (FC4) I *do* have access to the directories. However, root (on the workstation/cifs/FC4 and 5) has all the expected access to the same directories. The directories in question are users homes, and on the server they are given tight permissions (0700).

The directories are mounted at startup:

mount -t cifs //some/share /mnt/share -o rw,user=joe,password=xxxxxxx,uid=joe,gid=joe

(all on a single line...)

For public-type directories (permissions of 0755 or 0775, for example) I have all the browsing capability I would expect, though I am still unable to write to directories to which I would otherwise be able to write.

Again, when mounted as smbfs (FC4), I have all of the expected access as my normal user (not root). Oh, Windows 2000 and XP Home users also have all of the expected access to the shared directories.

Any thoughts/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe