Samba and NFS need some explanations.

Hi everyone!!!

The problem is that I still can't understand when do I need to use SAMBA
and NFS?

   For example: I have two computers at home one is PC and it directly
connects to the Internet and the second one is laptop that connects via
the PC, it can be called the standard scheme for most of the people I
guess. On my PC Win XP is installed and the laptop has FC5 on it.
   So now I want to enable file sharing between those two computers. The
question is: how do I need to configure all this stuff? I mean... on
which computer do I need install samba, the PC or laptop or both of
them? Does it must be Samba-server packet or client will be enough? And
what is NFS for anyway? When do I use this one? I got totally confused
about all this stuff...
   I don't need some step by step guides or something like that, just
give me some "global" explanation so I'll try to go on by myself.

These are the different types of schemes I would prefer to receive some
info about what do I need to install on each one to get the file sharing
among them. I wanna try all of these for gain some experience. :)))
1) PC=Win XP     laptop=FC5
2) PC=FC5        laptop=FC5
3) PC=FC5        laptop=Win XP

*** note: my PC has direct connection to the NET and laptop connects via
PC.

Sincerely. Ivan