Re: I can't resolve from the command line but I can from a browser.

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 11:45 -0400, Neil Cherry wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
> > This makes no sense to me.  I can go to www.yahoo.com in a browser but I
> > can't ping yahoo.com and nothing on my network blocks pings or
> > yahoo.com.  I also can't ping local hosts in my hosts list but I can
> > ping their ip address.  This is a fedora core 5 install and everything
> > was working fine untill i ran yum update.   Something else thats odd,
> > ping does not say that it has failed or can't connect, it just hangs
> > untill I break it.  I also tried putting a nfs entry in my fstab and
> > that wont mount either (it uses a host name instead of a ip address).
> >
> > Here is my resolv.conf
> > ------
> > search sondermuell
>
> This (above) looks a little weird, I have this:
>
> search uucp comcast.net ewndsr01.nj.comcast.net
> domain uucp
>
> Note: I have my own local DNS (tinydns) handling .uucp and I
> don't share that with the outside world. Everything else
> is handled by Comcast, my ISP.
>
> > nameserver 192.168.1.1
> > nameserver 216.231.41.2
> > nameserver 66.93.87.2
>
> I have something similar to that.

Check for avc denials in /var/log/audit/audit.log related to
resolv.conf....

You could try to do a "restorecon /etc/resolv.conf" and see if that
helps....  Saw something like this on an updated RHEL4 system a couple
of months ago and it was the context of resolv.conf getting
"mis-set"....

HTH,

--Rob