Re: [Flame Bait] - Linux as bloatware

2006/4/10, Jeff Mutonho <ejbengine@xxxxxxxxx>:

> > Although Gnome is my preferred Environment, the dependency chain is
> > ridiculous.
> > I don't use Evolution;  however, if I uninstall it, deps would remove
> > Gnome =P
> > I am not sure if it is the LSB, Fedora or Gnome deps, but when I install
> > Fedora I get
> > web servers, DNS servers and mail servers installed and all I want for
> > this machine
> > is a desktop type install, after all it is a laptop.
>
> During my install , I remember seeing an option to choose which
> packages(hence servers) you want to install....
>

> "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
>
> Jeff  Mutonho
> Java/J2EE Developer
> mob    : + 27 82 907 6420
>
> GoogleTalk : ejbengine
> Skype        : ejbengine
> Registered Linux user number 366042
>
> --

just dont install the big environments... i dont see why linux has become
 too fat if you can just use a plain fluxbox blackbox hackedbox
windowmaker etc...
seems to be one of those cases where terms are completly mixed up.

and for embedded devices you wouldnt use a general distro anyways
these days... you would slim down the kernel to only the drivers it
needs for space reasons... not for "performance" reasons....

regards,
rudolf kastl