Re: dual booting XP and Linux

Stanton Finley wrote:
There is a recovery partition on many Gateway machines, including my
GT5034 Dual Athlon. Writing grub to the MBR in a dual boot scenario
causes this machine to automatically go into recovery mode, restoring
Windows and overwriting the MBR which removes grub. Thus I am left with
an unbootable Fedora partition. Even when I wiped the whole disk and
restored the OEM operating system (Windows XP Media Center Edition) with
the included Gateway CD and eliminated the restore partition the dual
boot still crashes the machine. (This occurred with the x86_64, I have
not tried it with i386 Fedora.) I'm still trying to figure out how to
get dual boot to work on this machine with two partitions on the drive.

I have that same situation with my Presario. The way I got it to
work (detractors and non-believers that Fedora install doesn't
always "just work") was to let WinXP manage the boot. The WinXP
boot manager comes up and presents me with a menu, including
"Windows XP", "Safe Mode", "Recovery Mode", and "Linux", the
last of which I added and which really just loads GRUB, which then
asks me which kernel I want to boot.

If you need more information about how I got this to work, shoot
me an e-mail. Since the tone around here seems to be that
this is all in our imaginations, I wouldn't want to burden anyone
with facts about non-existent OT situations. We'll see if we
can't get your machine up.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.