Re: dual booting XP and Linux

On Thursday 06 April 2006 19:19, Craig White wrote:
> it really doesn't much matter - generally, it's whatever is more
> comfortable for the user but the user is likely to get more and better
> help using grub on this list than the Windows bootloader.
>
> In general, I have found dual-booting a waste of time and energy and can
> only see the point of it on laptops...for people not wanting to give up
> the Windows option.

Unfortunately there are some times when it is almost impossible to do without
windows.  In my case, it is the need to run proprietary software,
dongle-protected, to produce a particular proprietary file format to interact
with a machine.  I'm not saying it's impossible to get around the problem,
and I certainly intend trying, but it's not a thing to get running between
tea and supper.  In fact I thought it impossible until recently, when I found
that the dongle-producer does do some linux drivers.

Anne