Re: dual booting XP and Linux

On 4/6/06, Washington, CJ (OCTO) <CJ.Washington@xxxxxx > wrote:

Washington, CJ (OCTO) wrote:
> Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP using two Hard drives.
>

> Have another question, I tired and tried to load Linux and XP using two
> different Hard Drives.  XP loaded
>
> Correctly, and it seemed as if Linux did to. I loaded XP on the primary
> drive and linux on the slave drive.  I followed the instructions on Fedoras
> site on how to dual boot two operating systems and installed grub in the MBR
> on hda.  Every time I tried to boot the machine, the MBR was I guess ignored
> and linux never booted.  XP kept booting.  So I found a website that
> mentioned removing one of the harddrives, installing XP on it, then removing
> that harddrive and plugging in the second harddrive as master, install Linux
> on that one, then plug in the hard drive with XP as the slave drive.  Then
> booting into linux and changing the grub.conf file.

Mike, thanks for your help, so since I do have Linux successfully installed and I have Windows XP successfully installed but on two different hard drives, how do I make WinXP boot manager understand how to dual boot using Linux as an option?

Is WinXP boot manager a separate tool that I need to purchase?

You can boot so many ways into a dual-boot system, but you will be using only one of them.
There is no particular demerit in either (as of now as I know it).

U said Win XP  Boots using grub but fedora does not.

[Make backup beforehand - of file U get-set to change ]
[# cp grub.conf grub.conf.bak]

U have to get to file /boot/grub/grub.conf and change something in the line after title
 root (hd1,0)   <- instead of anything else, that is in ur case. >
                     <- hd0 is ur first disk hd1 is ur second disk >
                     <- ,0) is ur first partition and  ,1) would be the second on that disk) >
                     <- this is how grub works >

Now how to get to grub.conf and do editing is explained in this list so many times.
 can U please search. even how to search is discussed.
One Easy way is to go to fedora-list archive.
open april or march month's view by [ Thread ]
and do ctrl-f in your browser for what U want to search.
Other way is MARC: Mailing list ARChives

--
Anil Kumar Shrama