Re: ./configure command

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 10:55, Mike McCarty wrote:

I also nearly always use --prefix, and install into my home
directory, not to /usr/local. I've got a /home/jmccarty/usr/... tree.
If anything goes bad, I just delete the directories altogether.
There is NO UNINSTALL NEEDED.

This brings up another problem with packaging.  Anything I'd
be likely to compile myself these days is probably very
experimental and I might like to have 2 or more versions
to compare them or to have a known-good version if the
latest one blows up.  You can do that with many source
bundles with the --prefix option and using explict paths
to execute the programs.  How do you do it with RPM packaged
items?

That's another of the points I made. With ./configure + make +
make install I have control over destinations. With RPM I do
not. And much of the stuff I have intalled is *not* in /usr/local.
I *do* have multiple versions of some things installed, and I use
soft linked directories to switch which one is active at any
given time. And, as I pointed out, if this is done properly,
there is no uninstall needed. When one is through with what
one is using, one simply deletes the directories involved.

At one time I had two versions of the DJGPP cross-to-DOS
compiler installed on this machine. When I was through with
them I simply deleted the directories, and removed the pointer
directory link from the PATH variable.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.