Re: ./configure command

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 00:06 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

Once again, I say: You, want to build a source from sources, you, the
installer, are better off writing an rpm spec for a package you want to
install, instead of blindly running a "configure && make install", if
you want to avoid trouble.

If this is beyond your knowledge, you can use such situations as
occasion to learn doing it. If you don't want to do it, take the
situation as granted: The package is not available.

All I can say is that you seem to have an attitude which precludes
rational discussion. What someone puts on his own machine,
why, and how it gets there is his own choice to make.

The stuff I build normally eventually winds up on
machines which don't even have an OS at all, let alone RPM,
and frequently have less than 1K of memory. And building a
cross-assembler or a cross-compiler which I want to run under
MSDOS, Linux, and Windows is not suitable for putting into an
RPM. I don't want to have to port RPM to MSDOS and maintain it
myself, thank you.

We are talking about Fedora here. The tool to package and install
packages on Fedora is rpm.

There is not a "the tool to package and install on Fedora". There
is a preferred tool.

Other target OSes and distributions have other tools and use other kinds
of packages. These are completely off-topic, here.

The topic here (drift aside) is how this fellow can accomplish
a certain goal on his machine, not how you can tell him how
to administer his machine.

$ yum install gcc

is the answer. "Get the originator to build an RPM for you,
or learn how to do it yourself, or just do without." is not.

What a parochial attitude. Use my tools or eat **** and die.

You apparently haven't understood anything.

I understand that you want to control what other people do with
their own machines.

If you want a package to a package for an OS, you have to take the OS's
native package administration tools into account. The safest way is to
utilize the system's native packaging - In case of Fedora this is rpm.

That is generally true, though not universlly. One can get into trouble
if a ./configure + make install is done badly. The same thing is true
for a badly made RPM. It can clobber anything on the machine just
like ./configure. I have personally experienced that. When I have used
./configure for install packages, I always put in there a prefix which
installs either in my own home directory, or into /usr/local. And I
haven't gotten into any trouble, because I know where I put things.
With RPM, one *doesn't* have control over where things go. One has
slightly more control over being able to uninstall. But if a bad RPM
overwrites a file, it is gone. Before I use either

# yum install ...

or

# yum update ...

or

# rpm -i ...

or

# make install

I make a backup of my machine. Only sensible thing to do.

If you don't, you're off-limits and on your own, independent of the OS.

Eh? I'll take that to mean that if he doesn't follow your guidelines,
then you are unwilling to help him out if he gets into trouble. Since
you set your own criteria for whom you'll help, you certainly have
that right.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.