Re: My FC3 machine appears to be compromised, please help

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 10:33, Bob Brennan wrote:

> > ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> > ;thebrennan.net.                        IN      MX
> >
> > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> > thebrennan.net.  2400    IN      MX      0 mail.mi-server.net.
> > thebrennan.net.  2400    IN      MX      10 mx1.sitelutions.com.
> > thebrennan.net.  2400    IN      MX      20 mx2.sitelutions.com.

> Thanks for that Les. The mail.mi-server.net is the same IP as all of
> my domains, I just use it as a generic pointer in case I chop and/or
> change other names. Sitelutions is a mail backup service that is
> hopefully gathering and saving my email as we speak, well worth the
> $1.50/month because even though my FC3 system is fairly watertight
> there is no telling how, why, or for how long some lowlife has
> compromised Demon's nameservers.

But any mail being sent to you right now should be going to:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.mi-server.net.            IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.mi-server.net.     2385    IN      A       83.104.235.34

as long as it answers, regardless of any CNAME oddities.  Mail
will always use the MX record.  I think your real issue is
only that your server doesn't know its own name which you
can fix as I mentioned in the last message.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx