Re: Laptop doesn't show X on Beamer

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

Hi,

after upgrading to FC5, I noticed that I can no longer attach my
laptop to a Beamer, which has been possible before. More precisely:

- I do change the screen resolution to 1024x768, because I know that the Beamer
 supports it.
- I do a reboot.
- The system comes up in text mode, which is displayed on the Beamer,
as it should.
- As soon as I start X, the display is gone away.

Any ideas?

What video card do you have and what model laptop?

I have an HP zv5200. To get the video to work with my TV, I have to connect the cables before I turn on the laptop. (Otherwise it does not like to figure out which of the three outputs are connected.) Then, when it is booting, I have to hit the key combination to get the bios to switch to the other video source. If I have it on both the laptop and the tv out, it does not work in X. If I have it directed to only the output, it works with X. (I believe it is trying to set the video mode to something higher than the TV will handle.)

Note that I am using the closed source nVIDIA driver for X, not the open source one. It takes a bit of patching/hackery to get it to build. (The patch and instructions are available on nVIDIA's Linux forum.)

Since I don't know what kind of equiptment you are using, I don't know if this will help or not.

Hopefully it does...

--
"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa