Re: Installing FC5 on pre-partitioned /dev/hdb

On Monday 03 April 2006 11:36, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I was under the impression (and no idea where I heard/read that now)
>> that any partitions marked 0 0 on the end of the fstab line were
>> mounted in 'single' mode.  Is this not the case?  I haven't used
>> single with this FC2 install ever, no need to so far, so I don't
>> know, but I'll find out the next time I reboot to it.
>
>Those numbers are the dump frequency and dump pass number, i.e. unused
>by nearly everyone nowadays.  They were there way back (nearly 30
> years ago) when they were actually used, but since hardly anybody
> uses dump/restore anymore to make backups, those fields are not used
> anymore. See the descriptions of fs_freq and fs_passno in the manual
> page for fstab(5).
>
>(If you look at the manual for dump (if you have it installed), you
> can see that dump uses dump levels.  A dump at level n will dump
> everything that changed since the last level m (m <= n) dump.  The
> pass number specifies which partitions can be dumped at the same
> time, first all partitions with pass number 0, then all with pass
> number 1, etc.)

I see.  But since I haven't touched dump/restore with any length of pole
in at least 6 years, to me its moot.  ISTR at one time it also set the
importance and sequencing of the e2fsck's as required.  But thats just
something that falls out of my well aged wet ram in 2006 too. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: