Re: Wiring help?

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Dan Track wrote:

Hi

I appreciate this is OT but could some one guide me to some
documentation that describes the difference between structured and
unstructured cabling. Basically I just bought some cabling to attach
my server to the switch, but someone just told me that what I bought
was structured cabling and not good for this type of job.

someone has their terminology screwed up.

A structured cabling system is one layed out in a consistent hierarchical system. An unstructured cable plant is one where every time you need to connect two devices you ran another jumper/fiber/patch etc.

Also should the switch to server wiring be shielded or unshielded?

If this is ethernet, 10/100/1000 base-t it runs over unshielded category 5 twisted pair cable.

Getting back to the original statement. in-wall wiring in most places has to be plenum rated to meet building codes, in addition most of the time premisis wiring is done with solid copper rather than stranded (which is more flexible and is used for jumpers.

If you have two devices sitting right next to each other, you just connect them with a jumper.

Thanks for your patience
Dan

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx