Re: Installing FC5 on pre-partitioned /dev/hdb

Gene Heskett wrote:

> I was under the impression (and no idea where I heard/read that now)
> that any partitions marked 0 0 on the end of the fstab line were
> mounted in 'single' mode.  Is this not the case?  I haven't used single
> with this FC2 install ever, no need to so far, so I don't know, but
> I'll find out the next time I reboot to it.

Those numbers are the dump frequency and dump pass number, i.e. unused
by nearly everyone nowadays.  They were there way back (nearly 30 years
ago) when they were actually used, but since hardly anybody uses
dump/restore anymore to make backups, those fields are not used anymore.
 See the descriptions of fs_freq and fs_passno in the manual page for
fstab(5).

(If you look at the manual for dump (if you have it installed), you can
see that dump uses dump levels.  A dump at level n will dump everything
that changed since the last level m (m <= n) dump.  The pass number
specifies which partitions can be dumped at the same time, first all
partitions with pass number 0, then all with pass number 1, etc.)

--
Sjoerd Mullender