Re: FC5 ISA Soundcard not working any more

antonio montagnani wrote:
2006/4/3, antonio montagnani <antonio.montagnani@xxxxxxxxx>:
2006/4/3, Rickey Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx>:

Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

debug it... huh, dmesg finally shows that isapnp is now working... so
that's news. I haven't a clue what did that. I'll get back to you
and relate what I'm finding. Ric

I'm getting the kernel and Kudzu using locate. /sound/isa modules show
up in a lot of kernel items. I would not think that the feature to
recognize pnp isa cards would be removed from kudzu. The feature could
have been removed though. Is it possible to use an older version of
kudzu to see if it was gutted? My guess deps would be heavy.
Probably putting a bug report against kudzu would be wise since ISA and
PNP are still needed.

I'm glad that I'm wrong with thinking that ISA PNP was removed. Anyway detection and setting up entries in modprobe.conf seem to be faulty.

I still haven't a clue as to what happened to fire isapnp back up, but I'm
loath to file a bug report as I did a yum-upgrade path which hosed ALOT of
the system when yum segfaulted on me during the upgrade. That hurt! So, I
can't really bitch about anything, I'm no victim, I volunteered.

udev is still hosed, at least on bootup. Once I get past that one, I'll be
pretty close to being operational. thanx, Ric

This is my updated modprobe.conf.
I still do not understand why the sound card doesn't work at
boot-time, but if I issue modprobe snd-sbawe it works immediately.
Shall I had this line to some rc file??

You could add the line to some rc file such as rc.local. It works but is not the proper way to set items up.

If I am catching onto at all how modprobe.conf works and the initrd image for the kernel, mkinitrd uses the content of modprobe.conf to load modules into the initrd image. You might try to use mkinitrd to make another image for the kernel which should contain the modules needed by the initial kernel shell program to load the modules on bootup.

I think that some person with real knowledge regarding this issue might chime in. I am going on what I think I learned by reading postings o the list in the past.

# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
options snd-sbawe isapnp=1
install snd-sbawe /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-sbawe &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-sbawe { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-sbawe
#Turn off IPv6
#alias net-pf-10 off
#alias net-pf-10 on
#alias ipv6 off
alias eth1 ne2k-pci
alias eth0 8139too

Tnx for help
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

and this is the output of kernel log at boot-time. Why doesn't the card work??

I have a line that references
alias snd-card-0 snd-ali5451
I do not see a line like that in your modprobe.conf file.
This line is located just below the line for the network. I imagine that you will need a similar line for your system to be able to access your sound card in a similar fashion that eth0 is used to identify the module used for your particular Ethernet card.

isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
pnp: SB audio device quirk - increasing port range
pnp: AWE32 quirk - adding two ports
isapnp: Card 'Creative SB32 PnP'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Jim