Re: SElinux

--- Guillermo Garron <ggarron@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry i came to late to this issue again,
>
> but i have an FC5, updated from an FC4 both with
> SELinux on,
>
> and had no problem with Flashplugin or with mplayer
> both of them working
> good here.
>
> The only problem i had was with Squid, wich worked
> well with my FC4 but
> after updating it stop working with parents/siblings
> it did the
> inquiries with UDP 3130 but after having a UPD_HIT
> answer it was not
> able to ask the object with TCP 3138, until I
> disable SELinux on Squid.
>
> The other problem i had was with Cacti that on
> another FC4 i have, Cacti
> was not able to draw the graphs as it was installed
> on
>
> /usr/share/
> and the rrdtool was not able to read and/or the
> /usr/share/cacti/rra
> directory I think as Apache user.
> I had to disable SELinux on that box, as i had no
> time to study more on
> it to know if it was an option of configuring it to
> make it work.
>
> maybe disabling only Apache from SELinux
>
> I have a good firewall and denyhosts daemon on that
> server so security
> as far as i think i working.
>
> hope it helps.
>
> regards.
>
> Guillermo.
>

> Leon wrote:
> > Thank you Craig and Kam. However selinux will
> disable flash plugin for
> > firefox, prevent mplayer from playing .mkv files,
> etc. All of these
> > are quite essential for desktop users.
> >

> --

FYI:  Selinux is making its way into more linux
distributions and is included for compiling when you
download a vanilla kernel from kernel.org.  I can
verify that it so, because I have installed kernel
2.6.16.1 onto a FC3 machine and saw that selinux was
included when I did make xconfig.  Now I have to make
a policy and check if all goes well.  I know that FC3
is no longer supported except for fedora legacy, but I
am also checking for other things.

SELinux is in the kernel now, so its inclusion into
more distributions is eminent unless the developers
refuse to incorporate it.  I'd have to say thumbs up
to Fedora and to SuSE for paving the way for others to
follow.

http://selinux.sourceforge.net/devel/kernel.php3

Best Regards,

Antonio