Re: SElinux

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 08:04 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> More to the issue however, Linux is both a production and a
> participatory system where it is expected that a 'user' minimally
> participate in providing feedback so the product is improved and your
> suggestions above suggest that your decision to turn it off is formed
> by an arrogance that has others participating while you opt out.

Not everyone has the ability to debug every single thing that's wrong
with Fedora.  There comes a time when you look at what's more of a
problem to deal with, fixing the problem, stopping using something you
can't get to work, or stopping using something that's stopping you from
doing what you want to do.

I've had to give up fighting with SELinux on one machine, it just gets
in the way in far too many places, and is a completely user-unfriendly
system.  You've got extremely obscurely named contexts to set, and
they've all got to be done through the command line with woeful
documentation.  I've yet to see a GUI tool where you can list a
directory, or look at a file, and see that the file is web servable, or
whatever, or make one so that's not.  And the logging is bloody awful.

The targeted approach goes some way towards making it a bit manageable
(only applying SELinux to some predetermined things).  Though, that
approach, of course, leaves holes where you might be got at.  A little
security isn't much better than a lot of insecurity.

The feedback you're seeing from him, and some others, is that its
current implementation is awful.  It's got to be usable in more senses
than one.

I read messages from the public lists.