Re: newbie: howto install mplayer codecs

On 4/2/06, Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 22:22 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> > On 3/31/06, Rickey Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> > I was under the impression that if I didn't use yum to install [any
> > software] then yum could/would be confused by it later and would *not*
> > automatically update to later revs.
> >
> Yum will try to update anything that has been installed as an rpm.  It
> uses the rpm database to identify what is installed.
It does get confused based on the packaging of the rpm's. It once
*deleted* [active!] mySql from my system.

> Do you have the fedora-release package installed?
You mean the yum repo for fedora-release? I have three fedora repos
enabled: 1)fedora-core, 2)fedora-updates, 3)fedora-extras.
I also have the livna repo enabled. By the way, Livna changed their
entire naming scheme for FC5 so not to clash with other repos.

>I assume since you  make this statement you probably have FC5, and may have
> done an install  as an upgrade.
Yes. I installed as an upgrade fc5 over fc4. But I miss the point.

Thanks
nat