Re: newbie: howto install mplayer codecs

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 22:22 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> On 3/31/06, Rickey Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > Nat Gross <nat101l@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > -------------------------------
> > ]$ gmplayer
> > MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-rpm.livna.org-4.1.0 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team

> > > And yum has the problem noted above in my previous post.
> > Yup... everyone is getting hit. I feel your pain. I had to install gnome and
> > kde completely while 'yum update' merrily announced that all was good.
>
> I was under the impression that if I didn't use yum to install [any
> software] then yum could/would be confused by it later and would *not*
> automatically update to later revs.

Yum will try to update anything that has been installed as an rpm.  It
uses the rpm database to identify what is installed.

> > Really, all I had to do was goto:
> > http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
> > install one rpm,  the Redhat/Fedora one
> I only see fedora 3 and 4 pkgs.

Do you have the fedora-release package installed?  I assume since you
make this statement you probably have FC5, and may have done an install
as an upgrade.

> > notice where it says in small print that the 'installation documentation'
> > (that is a link that you can click on... using the mouse, it's highlighted)
> Neat, didn't notice that [it's a link] before.
>
> > Now..
> > http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/codecs.html
> > download the 'complete codex'  (referenced on this page as 'all')
> > open a terminal window as root, where you dnloaded the file to:
> > bunzip2  completecodex.bz2   --that will bunzip the file to a 'tar-file'
> > tar  -xvf completecodex.tar  (whatever it gets named to...)
> > cd into the directory it made.
> > type: more README  --read what it sez
> > cp *   /usr/local/lib/win32
> > (create that directory if you don't have it using "mkdir
> > /usr/local/lib/win32" )
> > then! to make sure that other apps or updated fedora rpms of mplayer could
> > find them...
> > ln -s /usr/local/lib/win32 /usr/lib/win32
> > ln -s /usr/local/lib/win32 /usr/local/lib/codecs
> > now mplayer will find either of the three, now you are more yum-proof.
> >
> > do the same thing with the skins... just get what you need from their site
> > and enjoy it now. Follow their instructions first, they worked just fine for
> > me. Hope this helps you some. Ric

> > My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
> > "There are two Great Sins in the world...
> >  ...the Sin of Ignorance, and
> >  ...the Sin of Stupidity.
> > Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
> >
> Well, I am trying to overcome both! (as evident by this thread!)
>
> Now, in order to take this route (first I need to be convinced that
> yum will update it in the future) I will need to 'yum remove
> mplayer*'? Will that clean what all that yum did?

Yum being able to do the update is a configuration issue.  You need to
have the appropriate repo enabled and yum can then use it to
search/update anything that has been installed.