very strange connection problem on FC5 installation

Dear list,

I have been using Redhat9 and Fedora Core1-4, with help from members on this
list. Two days ago, I installed Fedora Core 5 and everything came up smoothly.
Though the booting and shutting down is very slow. However, I have a serious
problem, which I can not figure out at all.

I can not access most sites on the web, using firefox or wget. These sites
include mail.yahoo.com, and most importantly www.google.com,
www.fedora.redhat.com. Mauriat Miranda's installation notes, among the ones I
tried. stanton-finley.net is however accessible, but not all the sites he
mentioned. Can someone please tell me what is going on? Where to look?

I am using a Dell Latitude C840, with 512MB RAM. I am on an ADSL modem (Qwest
Actiontec GT701-WG) which may be the problem, but am indeed very confused,
because things "worked fine" two days ago. The modem theoretically supports
linux, and my ISP does, I know that. Though they are not very learned, given
that they probably field very few commands from Linux customers.

Anyway, I have SELinux enabled to enforcing, and my router firewall switched
off. I have had this setup for a while.

I don't know what other information to provide, or where to look. Can someone
please help?

(By the way, I am typing this e-mail on my old nemesis, Windoze XP, in case you
were wondering....)

Many thanks and best wishes,
Trotter