Re: controlling mount options on FC5?

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 04:34 -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> (b) mtools has a program mlabel(1) which can add a label to a vfat
>     file system.  Unfortunately, to operate on a device, that device
>     needs to be assigned a CP/M-style drive letter in
>     /etc/mtools.conf.  For USB drives this is very unsatisfactory
>     because every time you plug in the drive, it might be somewhere
>     else in /dev.  And don't forget to unmount the drive's file system
>     before using mlabel.

I think you'd only have to do that the once when assigning it a name.
Thereafter, the device should have that name until you change it.
Unless you're in the habit of perpetually renaming it, it shouldn't be
too much of a problem.

Having said that, I wanted to do this with a flashdrive on FC4, but
couldn't get it to work.  Subsequently I found my flashdrive to be
seriously faulty, so I don't know if I couldn't set the name because the
drive was duff, or some other reason.  I don't have another drive to
test with.

I read messages from the public lists.