Re: Unable to get Atheros based drivers working

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 22:13 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Robert Locke wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 14:29 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> >> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 14:19:31 -0500
> >> "Jeffrey D. Yuille" <jeffy5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> opined:
> >>>
> >> Do you have the alias (eg alias ath0 ath_pci) in modprobe.conf?
> >>

> > Actually, with the packaging from livna, it is found
> > in /etc/modprobe.d/madwifi rather than directly in /etc/modprobe.conf...
> >
> > alias wifi0 ath_pci
> > alias ath0 ath_pci
> > options ath_pci autocreate=sta
> >
> > Though I am experiencing the same problem.  system-config-network is
> > insisting that the wireless is an Ethernet card.  So I gave up and just
>
> I had this problem with FC4 and a Cisco card, when I first installed it.
> I deleted everything (interfaces and hardware) from system-config-network
> and let the system redetect the hardware after rebooting, and then
> recreated the interfaces by hand.
>
> In FC5 with an ipw2200, it got the hardware correct, but it only created
> the wired interface.  I created the wireless interface by hand, and it's
> been fine (modulo a problem with the order in which modules are loaded
> that I discussed in another thread).
>
> > wrote a script that I run by hand when not wired....
> >
> > iwconfig ath0 essid "yourssidhere" key "yourwepkeyhere"
> > iwpriv ath0 authmode 2
> > iwpriv ath0 mode 2
> > ifconfig ath0 up
> > dhclient -1 ath0
> >
> > I believe this may be related to the madwifi-ng code not being properly
> > recognized by system-config-network given the pair of layers here with
> > both wifi0 and ath0 being established....
> >
> > --Rob

You know, on a whim, I thought I would try something.  Ran across the
following wiki this evening:

http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/installing-madwifi-using-yum-and-livna/

Thought it strange that this person had no problems with
system-config-network under FC5 like I was having....

So I copied the lines from /etc/modprobe.d/madwifi
into /etc/modprobe.conf, like he had.  I rebooted.  Ran
system-config-network and there were now three hardware elements.  One
for my Ethernet card that had been there all along, one for the Atheros
card incorrectly delineated as Ethernet and aliased to wifi0 which had
also been there all along (and had previously been
in /etc/modprobe.conf), but finally a new hardware element called
ath_pci and aliased to ath0.  I then created a new device, choosing
Wireless and configuring ath0.  Worked perfectly.

So I guess the bug/problem is with system-config-network not working
with the /etc/modprobe.d/ files.  I am also thinking that people may be
having the same problem with NetworkManager though I haven't started
playing with that yet....

HTH,

--Rob