Re: Unable to get Atheros based drivers working

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Robert Locke wrote:

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 14:29 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 14:19:31 -0500
"Jeffrey D. Yuille" <jeffy5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> opined:
I have a Linksys Wireless card, model wpc55ag.  I am using a Dell
Inspiron 4000 laptop and have FC5 installed with the Gnome desktop.
This card worked perfectly under FC4, using the madwifi drivers but
I cannot get it recognized in FC5.  I would click on Desktop-System
Settings-Network, I would come upon the Networking Configuration
tool. When I click on New-Wireless Connection, I would only see
"other wireless cards".  The system does not even see my card,
despite already having installed the kmod-madwifi drivers.  How can
I corrct this problem?  Is this a problem for others (or is this a
bug?) ?

Do you have the alias (eg alias ath0 ath_pci) in modprobe.conf?

Actually, with the packaging from livna, it is found
in /etc/modprobe.d/madwifi rather than directly in /etc/modprobe.conf...

alias wifi0 ath_pci
alias ath0 ath_pci
options ath_pci autocreate=sta

Though I am experiencing the same problem.  system-config-network is
insisting that the wireless is an Ethernet card.  So I gave up and just

I had this problem with FC4 and a Cisco card, when I first installed it. I deleted everything (interfaces and hardware) from system-config-network and let the system redetect the hardware after rebooting, and then recreated the interfaces by hand.

In FC5 with an ipw2200, it got the hardware correct, but it only created the wired interface. I created the wireless interface by hand, and it's been fine (modulo a problem with the order in which modules are loaded that I discussed in another thread).

wrote a script that I run by hand when not wired....

iwconfig ath0 essid "yourssidhere" key "yourwepkeyhere"
iwpriv ath0 authmode 2
iwpriv ath0 mode 2
ifconfig ath0 up
dhclient -1 ath0

I believe this may be related to the madwifi-ng code not being properly
recognized by system-config-network given the pair of layers here with
both wifi0 and ath0 being established....

--Rob

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences