Re: fc5: install everything?

Tim wrote:
Is it really that hard to figure out that if you don't want to take
discs with you that you should copy them to your hard drive?

Sure, there's various ways of doing this for installation convenience
sake (local YUM repos, etc), but it's pretty obvious that copying the
disc structure to the hard drive as an installation tree allows you
people to install from local files later on
Actually, it doesn't. I need to know a lot more about the install format, structures, policies, and databases than I do now to use that approach. That's why I've never used it in the past but instead just always installed "everything".

Even needing to go back and find one single package makes the distribution more costly than I'm willing to afford. That one package will take me an hour or two to hunt down, install, sort through possible conflicts, (which I presume the original packagers took into account at the time but may no longer be relevant), test, then figure out how to get that distributed to all of my users as well. At that point, I'd have been better off with a more comprehensive distribution.

--rich