Re: fc5: install everything?

Tim:
>> Is it really that hard to figure out that if you don't want to take
>> discs with you that you should copy them to your hard drive?
>>
>> Sure, there's various ways of doing this for installation convenience
>> sake (local YUM repos, etc), but it's pretty obvious that copying the
>> disc structure to the hard drive as an installation tree allows you
>> people to install from local files later on

Richard Pixley:
> Actually, it doesn't.  I need to know a lot more about the install
> format, structures, policies, and databases than I do now to use that
> approach.  That's why I've never used it in the past but instead just
> always installed "everything".

Actually it "does" allow it.  You *can* simply copy the files, and
simply install the ones you want, later on.  You *can*, if you don't
like messing with RPM, install something to let you manage installations
in a more user-friendly manner.  You don't *need* to try and "install"
everything just to avoid having to track discs around with you or
download files from the internet.

> Even needing to go back and find one single package makes the
> distribution more costly than I'm willing to afford.

I wonder how you cope within using any computer, at all, then?  Many
applications are less than user-friendly, and require the operator to
jump through hoops just to use them.

> That one package will take me an hour or two to hunt down, install,
> sort through possible conflicts, (which I presume the original
> packagers took into account at the time but may no longer be
> relevant), test, then figure out how to get that distributed to all of
> my users as well.

Hogwash!

And a very appropriate random fortune cookie was chosen by my mail
client, so for a change I won't delete it before posting:

To err is human -- to blame it on a computer is even more so.

I read messages from the public lists.