Re: Australian timezone oddity between two similarly configured FC4 boxes

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 12:15:28PM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> # /etc/localtime
> rm -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/localtime
> cp -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
> $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/localtime
> #ln -sf ..%{_prefix}/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/localtime
>
> I think this may have been changed because of rpm's poor handling of
> symlinks (e.g. it doesn't like changing between symlinks and real files
> on package upgrades).

No, symlinks are not used because /usr/share/ doesn't have to be mounted
during bootup yet.

> >If there are good reasons for Linux to have the default time zone known
> >before /usr is mounted (dual-boot with Windows maybe) then I can accept
> >that. In that case, tzdata updates must adjust /etc/localtime (which
> >shouldn't be a part of glibc either). Time zone changes are legislated,
> >it is not up to the individual admin to decide whether to implement them
> >or not. Therefore, a .rpmnew file would be wrong, too.
>
> I agree. It would be better to have a config file specifying the
> timezone to use, and a post-install script copying the right timezone
> data to /etc/localtime.

See
%triggerin common -p /usr/sbin/tzdata-update -- tzdata
where tzdata-update is statically linked proglet that parses
/etc/sysconfig/clock and copies /etc/localtime over.
You should just ignore the /etc/localtime.rpmnew file, copying it over
is almost always wrong idea.

	Jakub