Re: Australian timezone oddity between two similarly configured FC4 boxes

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 15:20 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> And I've just manually replaced /etc/localtime with a copy of the
> >> Adelaide file from /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/, and my PC is now
> >> serving time correctly (without the stripey suit with arrows on it).
>
> Steffen Kluge:
> > The tzdata post-install script should have done that for you. The
> > necessary information (default time zone) is in /etc/sysconfig/clock. A
> > quick glance at the initscripts seems to indicate that /etc/localtime
> > never ever gets changed once written by the OS installer, or when you
> > change the default time zone.
>
> Just had another tzdata update today, this time I see the install/update
> mention that it's made an /etc/localtime.rpm new file (and it has).
> None of the other PCs have one (I haven't updated them yet), so prior
> updates didn't do that.

I always get a /etc/localtime.rpmnew when there's a glibc update. Same
again today on my last FC4 box. As far as rpm's
concerned, /etc/localtime is just another config file and it treats it
like any other changed config file, hence the .rpmnew version.

Paul.