Re: A question about NetworkManager

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:55:36AM -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>> >Right click on the panel. Choose Add to Panel. One of the options will
>> >be to add Network Monitor to the Panel.
>>
>> The Netowrk Monitor applet is not NetworkManager.  It's more an
>> interface
>> to system-config-network.
>>
>> All I did to get the NetworkManager applet--more of a notification icon
>> than an applet--(/usr/bin/nm-applet) was to "/sbin/service
>> NetworkManager
>> start".  If that doesn't work, you can then start nm-applet from the
>> command line.  Once nm-applet has been started once, it should be
>> preserved across logins, as long as NetworkManager is running.
>>
> I can start nm-applet but I can't get it to work consistently. It asks
> me for the passwd for example but it does no connect. Well once it did
> but I can't do it a second time. Presumable NetworkManager is run when
> I boot but no nm-applet is launched unless I do it on the command line.
>
> I can see that it is the facility that I was looking for but I just
> can't make it work. I get errors when it starts that I included in
> another fedora message.
> (nm-applet:5719): libglade-WARNING **: unknown property `urgency_hint'
> for class `GtkDialog'
>
> (nm-applet:5719): libglade-WARNING **: unknown property `urgency_hint'
> for class `GtkDialog'
>
> I don't know what these errors mean. Do you?
> --

Aaron,

1) I have no idea what the errors mean.

2) if you launch NetworkMananger, i just don't do service NetworkManager
start, i also do service NetworkManangerDispatcher start (found on the
fedoraproject-wiki). I still did not find out properly what the Dispatcher
is for.

3) the 1st time you install a remote nework, you have to indicate the
WEP-Key, -Passphrase or WPA if you use it. It then recommends a password
for the Keyring. This password you entered for keyring is what you have to
type in to connect to your remote network. With this, NM will load the
correct Keys for your network.

HTH
Roger