Re: [Java] Development Kit Issues

Jeff Mutonho wrote:
On 3/27/06, Ali Helmy <alihelmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ok, so i exported the path with
export JAVA_HOME=/home/ahelmy/jdk1.5.0

then i checked which jar, it said
/usr/bin/jar which is a link that points to /usr/java/jdk1.5/bin/jar which
is the correct path

so then i remade the file using jar -cf, but the bloody bastard
(MANIFEST.mf) still says Created-By: 0.92-gcc

WTF should i do now?

Why don't you just kill (remove)  /usr/bin/jar and then do
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin as already suggest .Do you really
need the /usr/bin/jar syslink?

Whenever I need to replace system commands on a system where I have
little control of the binaries (not really the case here) I simply
adjust the path by prepending the directory of the commands to the
PATH variable. While not the greatest solution it does allow me
to test my theory first before making major changes. I've even
been known to use shell script to manipulate the arguments (such
as making it look like I added host names to the hosts file when
they were really just a local file I'd grep).

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site