Re: [Java] Development Kit Issues

On 3/26/06, Ali Helmy <alihelmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey mates,

I need to inquire about two issues in particular regarding JDK... Firstly, so that you can understand my background:

- I'm running FedoraCore 5
- In the FC installation, I installed the regular Java Development libs & tools (such as eclipse, gcj, ...etc)
- I downloaded and installed the JDK1.5 and the JVM from Sun Microsystems, Inc.
- I removed all the java related bins in the /usr/bin folder, then recreated the links to the new bins in the /usr/java/jdk1.4.0/bin library to make the javac, java, jar, javah... etc commands use the new JDK

Now here's my problems:

A) When i create a jar file (ex: jar -cf Anyfile.jar Anyclass.class), the manifest file created with it (META-INF/MANIFEST) lists:
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Created-By: 0.92-gcc
where you see, that my problem is that the manifest file was created by "gcc" apparently, and not 1.5.0_01 (Sun Microsystems Inc.) which should have been the case... so, how can i change the manifest file maker?

Possibly there's still some gcj toolset stuff left. If you want to solve this clean, check out the jpackage.org site and download the rpm building package. It allows you to create an rpm file for the jdk which is compatible with "alternatives". This way, you can switch the system JRE between gcj and the Sun JDK (and others).

And the Note I Get after compiling with (javac -Xlint:deprecation ...etc):
[ahelmy@Laptop Java]$ javac -Xlint:deprecation ReadingFromConsole.java
ReadingFromConsole.java:12: warning: [deprecation] readLine() in java.io.DataInputStream has been deprecated
                        UsrInput = IStream.readLine();

So, does anyone know a replacement to read directly a line of user input from the ( System.in) through a console? Because .readline( ) was the one listed in the API

It's in the API documentation:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/io/DataInputStream.html#readLine()

Wrap the InputStream in a BufferedReader and you'll get rid of the deprecation (and gain compatibility with different character sets).

Klaasjan